Word of the night by Victor:
Victor has came up with this wonderful word and it was preposterous to find that not everyone used it during the meeting.
- contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.
“a preposterous suggestion”
|synonyms:||absurd, ridiculous, foolish, stupid, ludicrous, farcical, laughable, comical, risible, hare-brained, asinine, inane, nonsensical, pointless, senseless, insane, unreasonable, irrational, illogical; More|
Inspiration by Chi
Chi reminded us in her inspiration not to give up when you are not getting the results you want fast enough. She challenged everyone to think about why you are not achieving those goals and what you could do differently tomorrow to bring you closer to your goals.
Table Topics Master by Simon:
This is Simon’s first time as the Table Topics master and he is also really well prepared.
He brought along several printed logos/trademarks and challenged the speakers to share with the audience their experience/knowledge of the logo/trademark.
- Nicholas was given Corona Extra: It turns out that Nicholas is not a fan of beer
- Chi had to share an experience related to Disney and shared her opinions on the “Moana” film
- William recalls his past with the Apple logo and tell a story of how Apple iPods were the most popular items back then
- Victor explains how doing what natural intended and not use Colgate is natural and logical
- Juanro got the Playboy logo and managed to keep his story entertaining and PG 13.
easySpeak workshop by Vas:
Vas has given out a very detailed workshop on how easySpeak can benefit the club and explained how to use it with a group demonstration. Please find attached his PowerPoint presentation from his workshop which is also available at our easySpeak website.
EasySpeak is able to do the following:
- Members can view the meeting planning/draft agenda for future meetings
- Members can assign/express interest in a meeting role on their own for any future meetings
- Members can track their CC and CL pathways
- Members can confirm attendance or absence with a click of a button
- Allow members to set award goals and help keep track of it.
- Allow members to see their fellow club members’ progress in CC and CL pathways
Make sure to log into easySpeak, update your details and use it frequently.
The higher the participation, the better our club will be!
Interesting quotes in the meeting:
“Bullshit trumps over brains” – By Nicolas James in Victor’s evaluation
“If you think you can do a thing or think you can’t do a thing, you’re right.” – By Henry ford in Vas’s closing statement
Word of the night by Christine:
Christine’s very first role in Willetton Toastmasters. The first word that she has chosen for us tonight was:
noun: maverick; plural noun: mavericks
- an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
“he’s the maverick of the senate”
synonyms: individualist, nonconformist, free spirit, unorthodox person, unconventional person, original, trendsetter, bohemian, eccentric, outsider; More
- NORTH AMERICAN
an unbranded calf or yearling.
“a maverick detective”
Inspiration by Simon
Simon delivered his inspiration by sharing one of his discussions with his work mate. The lesson raised in this session can be summarised from this quote:
“Poverty is not the lack of money. Poverty is the lack of ideas.”
Table Topics Master by Juanro:
This is Juanro’s first time as the Table Topics master and he was really well prepared.
He brought along several mysterious items which were unveiled one by one and speakers have to give a response relevant to the randomly picked item.
- Nicholas chose Item 3: A “Lion Head” Bag – A story of how Nicholas shot the Lion while in his pyjamas.
- Daven chose “a sheet of paper with 3 random words” – Daven gave out his logical guess on the meaning of these 3 words.
- Vas chose the “Optus data package box” – Vas put on his salesman hat to get us to sign up with Optus.
- Victor – “Grim Reaper’s Green Weapon” – Victor shared his discovery of the Grim Reaper’s weapon with us.
- Simon – “Painting” – Simon shared his artwork inspired by MacDonald’s.
A plan for a better meeting by Kevin:
Kevin has written up a lengthy proposal to make our club experience better and he requires all of our members’ help. He has identified 3 problems and offered 3 solutions.
- Delays in Agenda generation
- Lack of attendance
- Lack of interest
- Encourage Members to use EasySpeak to help generate agenda and secure roles
- Increase club member pool by promotion and word of mouth from members
- Encourage members to prepare for roles and speeches to improve quality of material delivered in club.
Icelandic Adventure Part 5 by Nicholas:
Nicholas has unveiled the fifth part of his story, continuing where he left off at Part 4 where Karen was dragged down by a mysterious hand from the wall. Nicholas, Sven and Karen were separated from Gathrum when the wall collapsed. As the trio ventured deeper through the caverns, they were soon held captive by a group of little men. Their captors later recognised Gathrum’s name during the trio discussion. Nicholas then ends his story with another captivating cliffhanger. Stay tuned for Part 6!
The Duty of Care by William:
William has volunteered to deliver an impromptu speech and he has shared a personal story of how he witnessed his father’s care for his parents. It was touching, genuine and taught a valuable lesson to us all.
According to my memory, the lesson is:
Our parents are unique characters with their own backstory. All of us will eventually grow old and it should be our duty to care for our parents. When we become parents ourselves, it is also important to treat our parents the same way as how we want to be treated by our own children.
Word of the night by Simon:
Congrats for completing your first official role in TM. We look forward to hearing more from you in the future meetings. This is the first word Simon chose for us tonight:
1.never ending or changing.
“deep caves in perpetual darkness”
synonyms: everlasting, never-ending, eternal, permanent, unending, endless, without end, lasting, long-lasting, constant, abiding, enduring, perennial, timeless, ageless, deathless, undying, immortal; More
2.occurring repeatedly; so frequent as to seem endless and uninterrupted.
“their perpetual money worries”
synonyms: interminable, incessant, ceaseless, endless, without respite, relentless, unrelenting, persistent, frequent, continual, continuous, non-stop, never-ending, recurrent, repeated, unremitting, sustained, round-the-clock, always-on, habitual, chronic, unabating; informal eternal
“Clara could recall her mother’s perpetual nagging at her father”
Inspiration by Juanro (if my interpretation is correct):
He has chosen a quote mentioning energy vampires. Even though he mentioned that he is not a very inspirational man, he has given us this lesson/interesting fact
We are all the average of 4 of our closest friends. Therefore we should be wary as to who we surround ourselves with.
Table Topics Master by Chi:
Welcome back Chi. Glad to see you back in action as the TTM. She has chosen the theme “favourite” for this session and asked us what is our favourite _____.
2 guests participated
Favourite book – Simon does not have one…. Yet?
Favourite movie – Christine Choice is a film from the Sundance Festival –
Favourite person – Daven shows that loving yourself is just as important as loving others.
Favourite Food – Mysterious guest , Ben, likes fish soup
Favourite sports – Juanro shares a bit of his interest in soccer/football.
Workshop session – 10 DCP goals for Willetton Toastmasters by Saminda Vas
A discussion occurred during the workshop and numerous attendees have offered great recommendations to help Willetton Toastmasters achieve their 10 DCP goals for the 2017-2018 term.
President role: – Ben, Mayuran and Daven
After some discussion, Mayuran represented his group and recommended the following:
- Shopping center and pharmacy nearby have notice boards that could be great place to place flyers to promote the club
- Every time someone achieves an CC or CL, an award can be given to the achiever
- Have regular activities as awards for members.
- Post inspirational speech/lesson and recordings of speeches to our social media websites
Vice President of Education: Kevin
Kevin emphasised the following
- Tracking of the progress for all members can be tiring for one person
- Expecting the newly introduce website to be of use to produce better and faster agenda and allow members to keep track of their progress individual and as a club
Vice President of Membership: Simon and Juanro
Both of our new members have come up with some interesting recommendations:
- Introduce bring a friend night to encourage members to bring in guest on a regular basis
- Introduce themed nights e.g. comedy night to make meetings more interesting
- Have snacks available at the meeting
- Focus on retaining members and seek feedback from outgoing members via feedback form
Vice President of Public Relations: Melinda
Our current VPPR has shared with us her thoughts on how to improve the club:
- Also recommended bring a friend
- Create a newsletter
- Include testimonies in our social media websites
Even though Chi knew little about the role, she gave some great suggestions:
- Keep chart that is available online using google docs which keeps track on the CC and CL progress of each member. This would create some competiton between members
Sergeant at Arms: Zhenya
Zhenya added an extra step to ensure each member progress in their pathways.
- Reminding the members to bring out their CC and CL manuals at the start and to get their manual signed off by the VPE.
Christine being a guest offered her thoughts from a new member’s perspective:
- Bring a friend and talk about toastmasters to help spread the word
- Introduce ex –TM persons to our club for a speech demonstration.
There are 2 guests for tonight:
Christine and Ben
Christine has submitted her membership application forms and might be joining our roster soon!
- Practice makes perfect
- Push to your limits
- Have a Goal that is worthy to work towards
Due to popular vote there will be no meeting on the 5th of June.
We will resume next week on the 12th, hope to see you there!
Due to popular vote there will be no meeting on the 17th of March.
We will resume next week on the 24th, hope to see you there!
Great work from everyone who participated in the competitions on Monday, especially Vas our International Speech Winner and Juan our Evaluations Winner! It was very encouraging to see so many new members take the stage and give such interesting speeches.
For those of you who were unable to make it, photos and possibly videos will be up soon to help you catch up on what was an awesome night.
A big thank you to special guests Ian (Head Judge) and Patricia (Test Speaker) for taking the time to come down to fill in such important roles and providing assistance throughout the night.
And for the rest of the helpers, judges, ushers, timers, Sgt. at arms, and attendees, we could not have done it without you.
Look forward to seeing you all back on the *13th of March when we return from the long weekend break!
*Or on the 12th at the inter-club comp
The 2017 Willetton Toastmasters Club Competition – International Speaking & Evaluation Competitions will be held on the 27th February at the Rostrata Family Centre. The club competition truly allows members to put what they’ve learnt into practice while also giving them a taste of the formal competition structure in a familiar setting.
The night will be lead off by the International Speaking Competition with contestants battling to deliver high-quality speeches on the most interesting topics.
This will be followed by the Evaluation Competition with contestants will take turns providing the most insightful and constructive feedback on a Test Speaker.
If you’d like to learn more or would like to help make the event succeed, just contact a committee member today!
Thank you all who participated in the club elections for 2017!
Your voluntary contributions make it possible for us to continue to provide a platform for speakers of any level to develop communication skills that will help them in every stage of their life.
Please welcome the committee members for the coming year: